Thursday, April 15, 2010

4.15.10 (a)

I just watched The History Boys. Brilliant. Absolutely loved it. If you like British humour (and don't mind lots of references to sex and people saying 'fuck' a lot), check it out. A few memorable quotes... (and if you know me, there are few things I love as much as quotes)

Now. How do you define history Mr. Rudge?
Can I speak freely, Miss? Without being hit?
I will protect you.
How do I define history? It's just one fuckin' thing after another.

Durham was very good for history. It's where I had my first pizza. Other things too, of course, but it's the pizza that stands out.

You've got crap handwriting, sir!
It's your eyesight that's bad, and we know what that's caused by.
Sir! Is that a coded reference to the mythical dangers of self-abuse?
Possibly. It might also be a joke.

The best moments in reading are when you come across something - a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things - that you'd thought special, particular to you. And here it is, set down by someone else, a person you've never met, maybe even someone long dead. And it's as if a hand has come out, and taken yours.

Lecher though one is - or aspires to be - it occurs to me that the lot of woman cannot be easy, who must suffer such inexpert male fumblings, virtually on a daily basis.

Can you, for a moment, imagine how depressing it is to teach five centuries of masculine ineptitude?

History is a commentary on the various and continuing incapabilities of men. What is history? History is women following behind with the bucket.

God doesn't do notes, either. Did Jesus Christ say, "Can I be excused the Crucifixion?" No! Actually, sir, I think he *did*...

I'm not happy but I'm not unhappy about it.

He comes highly-recommended.
So did Anne of Cleves.

And I'm done. Any elicitations of giggles?

No comments:

Post a Comment